Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Director, Magnetic Resonance Imaging Lab
office: Room M-102, Suite 100, Technology Business Center
phone: +1 312.567.3864
fax: +1 312.567.3225
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRI acquisition and post-processing, diffusion tensor MRI (DTI), functional MRI (fMRI)
- B.S., Physics, University of Athens, Greece, 1997
- M.S., Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin, 1999
- Ph.D., Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin, 2002
Honors and awards
- Merit Abstract Award, Organization for Human Brain Mapping (2015).
- Journal article Nat Genet 2012;44:545-552, received the “Best paper” award for the 2012 de Leon Prize in Neuroimaging.
- ISMRM Magna Cum Laude Merit Award, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) (2012).
- Journal article Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2002; 23: 794-802, was ranked #28 Most Frequently Cited Article in the history of the journal (2010 rankings).
- Journal article Neuroimage 2009;46:967-980 was ranked 11th in the list of “hottest articles” in Neuroimage for April-June 2009.
- Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in University Research, 2007.
- Journal article Magn. Reson. Med. 2002;47:354-363 was ranked in the Top 10 most accessed papers in Magnetic Resonance in Medicine for the period 2002-2003.
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Stipend, 1999 - 2002
- Magna Cum Laude, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2002
- Excellence in Design of Education Exhibit, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2002
- Vilas Fellowship, 2001
K. Arfanakis, B.P. Hermann. Diffusion and perfusion MR imaging in seizure disorders. In Clinical MR Neuroimaging: Diffusion, Perfusion and Spectroscopy, Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp 509-520.
V.M. Haughton, C. Moritz, M.E. Meyerand, K. Arfanakis, D. Cordes. Mapping brain function with functional magnetic resonance imaging. In Imaging of the Nervous System: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications, Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Publishing-Mosby, 2005, pp 89-100.
K. Arfanakis, D. Cordes, V.M. Haughton, C.H. Moritz, M.A. Quigley, M.E. Meyerand. Combining independent component analysis and correlation analysis to probe interregional connectivity in fMRI task activation datasets. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2000; 18:921-930.
D. Cordes, V.M. Haughton, K. Arfanakis, J.D. Carew, P.A. Turski, C.H. Moritz, MA. Quigley, M.E. Meyerand. Frequencies contributing to functional connectivity in the cerebral cortex in ‘resting-state’ data. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2001; 22:1326-1333.
K. Arfanakis, D. Cordes, V.M. Haughton, J.D. Carew, M.E. Meyerand. Independent component analysis applied to diffusion tensor MRI. Magn. Reson. Med. 2002; 47:354-363.
K. Arfanakis, V.M. Haughton, J.D. Carew, B.P. Rogers, R.J. Dempsey, M.E. Meyerand. Diffusion tensor MRI in diffuse axonal injury. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2002; 23:794-802.
K. Arfanakis, B.P Hermann, B.P. Rogers, J.D. Carew, M. Seidenberg, M.E. Meyerand. Diffusion tensor MRI in temporal lobe epilepsy. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2002; 20:511-519.
M. Lazar, D.M. Weinstein, J.S. Tsuruda, K.M. Hasan, K. Arfanakis, M.E. Meyerand, B. Badie, H.A. Rowley, V.M. Haughton, A.S. Field, A.L. Alexander. White matter tractography using tensor deflection. Human Brain Mapping 2003; 18:306-321.
K. Arfanakis, A.A. Tamhane, J.G. Pipe, M.A. Anastasio. K-space under-sampling in PROPELLER imaging. Magn. Reson. Med. 2005; 53:675-683.
K. Arfanakis, M. Gui, M. Lazar. Optimization of white matter tractography for pre-surgical planning. Oncology Reports 2006; 15:1061-1064.
H. Peng, K. Arfanakis. Diffusion tensor encoding schemes optimized for white matter fibers with selected orientations. Magn Reson Imaging 2007; 25:147-153.
K. Arfanakis, M. Gui, A.A. Tamhane, J.D. Carew. Investigating the Medial Temporal Lobe in Alzheimer’s Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment, with Turboprop Diffusion Tensor Imaging, MRIVolumetry and T2-relaxometry. Brain Imaging and Behavior 2007; 1:11-21.